Examining the World in light of the Divine Word

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tanked full of Thanks

Sometimes life is a little rough and we experience bumps on the road that threaten to unseat us. As our church has been praying for Matt's recovery from cancer, I am reminded of the suffering that people endure in a fallen world. Add to that the news of multiple wars being fought around the globe, poverty in Africa, terrorism, divorces and natural disasters on almost every continent and you are reminded of the fragility of human life.

One the other hand, I've been thinking a lot lately about the need to be thankful to God for what we do have. Matt reminded me of this yesterday when I visited him at his dad's house near McGregor. He shared all that God is teaching him and the recovery he's experiencing. My kids reminded me of this on the weekend while I cared for them while Sue was away at a conference. They are a great joy to me and divine blessing. The beautiful weather of late reminded me of this as I sat on the back porch and gazed out at the woods and felt the wind on my face. Creation, for all its dangers, is a blessing as well. The church reminded me of this on Sunday as I enjoyed the spiritual friendships that are shared among believers. I could go on, because there are so many things to be thankful for in life!

For the Christian, thankfulness has nothing to do with comparing what we have to what the next guy doesn’t. It has everything to do with bragging on God and enjoying his good gifts. As believers, it seems to me that life is laced with temptations to become disgruntled with the road bumps and forget about the blessings all around. That is why I think it’s necessary to cushion all our troubles with the good stuff God has brought into our lives. Think long and hard upon all God HAS given you instead of dwelling on what he HASN’T given. The next time you pray, spend the time thanking God for the good things he has provided you with. Call a friend or email your spouse and thank them for the gift of their presence in your life, and see if it doesn’t generate a spirit of thankfulness in you!

Remember Paul? He was that bold believer that our Lord used to write much of the New Testament. While all of his inspired writings are amazing, the message of his letter to the Philippians has always stood out in my mind as a prime example of thankfulness DURING trouble. From a smelly ancient near eastern prison cell, he had the insight to write, rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Meditate upon these words today in light of your trials. Look for the bright spots; for it is there that you will encounter the Son.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the people I've been working with this week are a split between those who are a pleasure to be around and those who see everybody as an enemy or someone who needs to be put down.The pleasant ones speak of family,chores,work around the house,all lifes little blessing ,where as the miserable people only speak badly of others.Being thankful makes all the difference! Pray for people who have blessings all around them but who's eyes are blind to Gods great mercies and grace.
Thom

11:32 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home